I thought that this idea of posting what is on your desk on a Wednesday was a nice one, so here is my desk…
My sister has the same teapot as me and has asked for a teacosy for her birthday. I keep staring at it trying to decide which way to go. Do I want to go ‘grown up’ like the Japanese fabric the teapot is sitting on, or do I want to go cute and embroider the hell out of something. Thinking… thinking…
These guys live in a compartment in the desk paper stand that I have on my desk. There isn’t any paper in it but instead quite a lot of my little objects.
Going from left to right:
1. A snail (with the best expression) that my sister gave me from when she was a steward at a World Music festival.
2. In the background one of those artists models of a hand that my aunt gave me. A picture of this hand has been on the cover of a CD.
2. Tiny sheep with neon eyes, and tiny glass cat with it’s arms up. These I bought in Japan when I was a kid. I remember the shop, it was some kind of artists shop with all these little guys on shelves around the edge. What child could resist?
3. Pig lighter from Kiddy Land in Tokyo. If you push back his hat two flames come out of his nose.
4. Grey thing in the background. A lino cut I did for a gift the Christmas before last. I didn’t realise that was there until I took this photo.
5. A matchbox from an onsen (hot springs) hotel in Kamikochi in the Japan Alps where I went on holiday with my dad when I was last there. That was such a good holiday!
In another compartment of the desk stand:
1. Pink cat. I liked it and so I bought it, many years ago. It is a bit chipped now but I still like it.
2. Little pencils. These also are Japanese. Man, I have a lot of Japanese stuff!
3. Totoro pencils.
That’s it for now!