You Tube video of the Topshop cycle podcast:
I have been following the awesome Copenhagen Cycle Chic for a little while. I was so pleased when I found there was such a site because I agree EXACTLY with their ethos of style over speed, non-cycle wear, and so on, you can read the manifesto here. I love riding my bike around :)
I was thinking about why cycling is so good from a practical level of lady living in the city:
1. You can wear completely impractical shoes because you never actually have to walk in them.
2. You can have a completely impractical bag because you never need to carry anything as it will go in the basket.
3. It is free, so no bus/train fare/petrol.
4. It is independent. You don't need to wait for anything.
5. The exercise and fresh air.
6. It is quicker than walking or public transport.
7. It is safer at night or in troubled areas (you are long gone before anything can happen).
8. It is the best stress-buster.
Obviously this all depends on the infrastructure of the city cycle ways. Cities seem to be getting their act together, and creating more cycle lanes and bike boxes to make things pleasanter for all city cyclists.
Ps. My favourite thing is the wind in my hair, oh and night cycling on empty roads.